Stranger In Destiny Study Guide
“They, then, who are destined to die, need not be careful to inquire what death they are to die, but into what place death will usher them.” – Augustine
And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, 3 and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. 4 Again, he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding.”’ 5 But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. 6 And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. 7 But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’ 10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.” (NKJV)
- What is the kingdom of heaven likened to in this passage?
- What were people’s responses when they were invited to the wedding?
- How is this like the kingdom of God?
- Why was the man thrown out of the wedding?
- What do you think the “wedding garment” represents?
- What is the sobering statement Jesus made in verse 14?
- Have you accepted the invitation to the wedding? Are you wearing the wedding “garment”? (living life on God’s terms)
22 And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. 23 Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?” And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’ 28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out. 29 They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south, and sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first who will be last.” (NKJV)
- What question was Jesus asked in verse 23?
- What was His response?
- Why do you think the narrow gate leads to heaven and the wide road leads to destruction?
- What was the Lord’s response to those who knocked but the door was not opened to them?
- What does it mean to “know God”?
- How are you “striving to enter through the narrow gate”?
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. 25 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? 26 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels. (NKJV)
- According to verse 23, what does it take to be a follower of Jesus?
- What does it mean to deny yourself and take up your cross daily?
- In what ways do we try to save our own lives and end up losing them?
- What does Jesus say about those who are ashamed of Him?
- Do you ever struggle with being ashamed of being a follower of Jesus because of what other people will think?
- Ask the Lord to help you overcome the fear of man. Pray that He will help you live for His approval only. (Prov. 29:25)
27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. 32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. (NKJV)
- In verse 28, who are we told to fear and respect above all?
- What is the reason given for this?
- What do you think it means to “fear God”?
- In this passage, we are told to both fear God, but also not to fear because we are of great value to Him. What do you think is the difference in these statements?
30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad. (NKJV)
- Why do you think that Jesus said that those who are not “with him” are “against Him”?
- Do you know people who say they have “nothing against Jesus,” but they don’t have anything to do with Him? What does Jesus say about this attitude?
- How do you think it’s true that if we’re not gathering for Him, then by default we are scattering?
- Would you say you are “with Jesus”? What are you doing to “gather with Him”?
December 15, 2017
December 08, 2017
December 01, 2017